My name is Molly Wizenberg, and I write this blog.
I live in Seattle, but I grew up in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I like to eat peanut butter, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, soft-boiled eggs, meatballs, cabbage, pancakes, raspberries, soup dumplings, chocolate, well-buttered toast, ice cream, nectarines, and anything malted, though not necessarily in that order. I am known in some circles for my karaoke (in)abilities.
I started Orangette in July of 2004. I had just decided to quit a Ph.D. program in cultural anthropology, and I didn’t know what to do with myself. The only thing I knew was that, whatever I did, it had to involve food and writing. I thought it might be kind of great to write for a food magazine someday, but I had no idea how. In the meantime, I decided I would just get a job doing whatever, and then write after hours. I told a journalist friend about my decision, and being very wise, he suggested that I start a blog. It would help hold me accountable, he said: having a blog would force me to sit down and write regularly, even when it felt difficult. So I started Orangette. Roughly eleven years later, here I am, with this blog, a book, a second book, and a husband whom I met through this site. In August of 2009, he and I opened a restaurant called Delancey, and in August of 2012, we opened Essex, a bar and restaurant next door to Delancey. And less than a month later, on September 9, 2012, our daughter June was born. And in 2015, this blog won a James Beard Award. And - wait! almost forgot - I also co-host the food-and-comedy podcast Spilled Milk with my friend Matthew Amster-Burton.
It’s been insane, mostly in a good way.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
***
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
About this site
About this site
Why do you call it Orangette?
When I sat down to start this blog, I happened to have a bag of orangettes - the French name for chocolate-dipped candied orange peels - sitting on my desk, just a few inches from the computer. I initially had a different blog title in mind, but it was already taken, and then my eye landed on the orangettes, and it seemed right. Plus, I like orangettes.
Do you have a recipe for orangettes posted somewhere around here?
I was afraid you would ask that. I don’t. I know, right? It’s just that I’ve never felt a real need to make them, and I don’t have the patience to temper chocolate. In general, I have preferred to simply eat them, and to leave their making to the pros. (I feel the same way, incidentally, about baguettes, croissants, and cheese.) But if I were to make orangettes, this is probably the first method I would try.
Why haven’t you answered my e-mail / comment? Are you a bad person?
I hope not. I shoplifted some calligraphy pens and keychains when I was eight, but I’m not a bad person. I love to hear from you, possibly even more than you can imagine. But I have a hard time keeping up. I do my best to reply to every comment and e-mail I receive, but I am not always successful, and for that, I apologize.
I’d like to advertise on your blog. What are your rates?
I don’t accept ads. But thanks for asking! (For the sake of disclosure, I do participate in the Amazon Associates program.)
I left a rude comment, and it was deleted. Why?
This site may be a public space, but it is also an extension of me and of my home. The Internet can feel like a good place to anonymously air one’s discontents, but meanness is no more welcome here than it would be if we were sitting together on the couch in the living room. I ask that you post only words that you would feel comfortable saying aloud to me in person, and I reserve the right to delete any comment that is hurtful or nasty.
Can I send you a free product to review?
I don’t do product reviews. But when appropriate, I do like to mention great books that cross my path.
Who takes the photographs on Orangette?
Except where noted, I do!
What kind of camera do you use?
Prior to April of 2008, most of the photographs on this site were taken with a Nikon D70s. But then I fell in love with film photography, and from mid-2008 to late 2013, nearly all the photos on this site were taken with film cameras. I have a number of them, and I have a hard time choosing a favorite: Nikon FE (35 mm), Pentax K1000 (35 mm), Minolta Instant Pro (a Polaroid-type camera), Fuji Instax (a Fuji-brand instant camera), Polaroid SX-70, Polaroid 600 (the big, hulking one from Polaroid’s professional line), Holga (medium format), and Hasselblad 500c/m (medium format). Film is magic. But of course, the turnaround time with film can be very slow, so in late 2013, after I realized that using only film was keeping me from posting here as often as I wanted to, I bought a new digital camera, a Canon 5D Mark III. Now I shoot a little of everything.
I sometimes also post iPhone shots.
When I post Polaroid shots, I do so with the help of an Epson Perfection V500 scanner. When I post shots from any of my other film cameras, they have been developed and scanned by Panda Lab, in Seattle.
Who designed your site?
I did. I know nothing about coding and next to nothing about computers, but I futzed around (and Googled) until it looked the way I wanted it to. I had heart palpitations the whole time. My friend Sam did help me with the banner, though.
Can I use one of your photos on my site or in my magazine?
The entire contents of this site, as well as my Flickr photos, are protected by copyright. Please do not use anything - photos or text - without my permission. Please ask first. PLEASE.
Is there a list or an index of recipes around here somewhere?
Yes, there is. It’s right here.
About me
How did you get book deals and freelance writing gigs? Do you have a literary agent? Do you have any advice along those lines?
The short answer is this: I got to write books and magazine articles because of my blog. My agent and my editors, at Simon & Schuster and at Bon Appétit and elsewhere, found me directly through Orangette.
My best advice is to write. It sounds simplistic, but it’s the best advice I’ve ever been given, so now I’m passing it on to you. Write honestly and thoughtfully about what moves you. Start a blog, keep a journal - whatever works for you. Just keep writing, and try to have fun with it. And work hard. Set high standards for yourself - that’s very important - and work hard to learn how to meet them. Read this Ira Glass quote. Try to always write better, smarter, tighter. Read good writing and figure out what makes it work. Read up on book proposals and literary agencies, research other books and writers in your field, work hard, and stick your neck out. Definitely stick your neck out. And when you get stuck, read books like Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott. Or On Writing, by Stephen King. Above all, keep your fingers crossed.
I heard that you met your husband because of this site. That sounds weird.
In early April 2005, only a handful of months after I started Orangette, I got an e-mail from a guy in New York named Brandon. He told me that a friend of his had introduced him to my blog, and that it seemed that we had a lot in common. In retrospect, I’m surprised that I didn’t immediately hit DELETE, but somehow, it didn’t occur to me. I guess I was flattered, and I was curious, so I e-mailed him back. Then he e-mailed me again, and I e-mailed him, and things rolled along this way for a couple of weeks, until I gave him my phone number. We had a phone conversation one Saturday afternoon, and a few days after that, entirely out of the blue, his father offered him a plane ticket to Seattle. (He was coming here for business and invited Brandon to come along. The timing was impeccable.) Brandon and I met for the first time on April 25, 2005, in the lobby of the Westin Hotel in downtown Seattle. We got engaged on March 29, 2006, and Brandon moved to Seattle about three months later. We were married on July 29, 2007 - three years to the day, incidentally, after I started Orangette. And the best part is that we didn’t even think about that when we chose our wedding date. We just wanted to get married in the summer, and we thought July 29 sounded nice. So there you go.
Are you professionally trained in cooking? Do you have a degree in writing?
No, I am not professionally trained in cooking. My only "training," as it were, comes from growing up in a family of avid eaters and home cooks. My brother David went to the Culinary Institute of America and owns a bunch of restaurants in the DC area, but the rest of us are purely home cooks.
Likewise, I do not have a degree in writing. I’ve always loved to write, though, and as a teenager, I had the honor of studying poetry for two summers at a remarkable program called the Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute at Quartz Mountain. I have also worked as a teaching assistant at OSAI, assisting poets George Bilgere and Ruth L. Schwartz. And in the fall of 2014, I was invited to teach at Quartz Mountain myself(!), a Fall Arts Institute workshop on personal narrative and memoir. I have a B.A. in human biology and a minor in French from Stanford University, and I have an M.A. in cultural anthropology from the University of Washington.
So you teach workshops on writing? Can I take one?
1. Yes. And, 2. Please do! I love to teach writing, particularly to adults, and I have taught one- to four-day workshops on narrative food writing, personal narrative, and memoir. Please drop me a line if you'd like more information, or if you'd like me to teach in your school or your town.
But wait: don’t you own a restaurant, too? But you said you were a home cook...
Right. I know. My husband and I own a restaurant called Delancey, in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle. We opened the place in August of 2009, and the menu is focused on Brooklyn-style wood-fired pizza. (Brandon is originally from New Jersey, just a few minutes outside of New York City, and he’s been obsessed with pizza since he was a kid.) I cooked at Delancey in the beginning, and I still help to run it, but really, it’s Brandon’s child. As you can imagine, I’m a little bit proud of him. So, come eat pizza! Or have a drink and a wood-fired burger at Essex, the bar we own next door. Or take a class at the Pantry at Delancey. The Pantry is located directly behind Delancey, and it’s owned by our friend Brandi Henderson.
What’s this about a book?
My first book was called A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table, and it was published in 2009 by Simon & Schuster. It was - and I can’t believe I get to say this - a New York Times bestseller. WHAT. It’s a food memoir (with 50 recipes) about losing my dad and growing up, and it was illustrated by one of my favorite artists, Camilla Engman. My second book, Delancey, was also published by Simon & Schuster, this time in 2014, and it too was a New York Times bestseller. AAAAHHH! It’s about the experience of opening our restaurant Delancey, which we did on a harrowingly tiny budget and with lots of help from friends and strangers, elbow grease, mistakes that seem funny now but weren't at all funny then, and Cool Ranch Doritos.
What’s this about Bon Appétit?
In February of 2008, I began writing a monthly column for Bon Appétit magazine, and the column ran until April of 2011. It was called "Cooking Life."
About blogging
I am new to blogging, and I can’t figure out how to make my blog look / work the way I want it to. Can you help me?
Hooo boy. You really don’t want me to help you. What I’ve been able to do with this site is purely because of trial and error, not because I know a thing about coding. You’d probably, or definitely, be better off Googling.
How can I make my blog better? How can I make my blog successful?
Those are tricky questions, and I don’t have a quick answer. Luckily, though, there are other people out there who do. You might try starting with my friend David Lebovitz, who put together a post on those very topics right here. Or my friend Adam Roberts: here and here.
As for my advice, this is going to seem sort of touchy-feely, but I have a question for you: are you having fun with your blog? Because if you’re not, it’s probably not worth doing - or reading. Above all, write about what you want to write about. Write what you want to read. If you’re passionate about something, and if you write about it honestly and clearly and thoughtfully, chances are, someone else will be interested too. Also, look closely at your favorite blogs. Look closely at your favorite writers, period. Study them. What do you like about them? What do they do well? And how can you bring elements of that into your work, while still making it your own? I’ve been blogging for a while, but I still think about these kinds of things all the time.
Oh - and I love to teach classes on this stuff. If that interests you, please drop me a line.
I have a blog / website. Will you link to it? Want to exchange links?
My general policy is that I link only to sites that I read regularly. I do not accept requests to exchange links. However, if you’d like to leave me a comment and tell me about your blog, please do. I would love to know about it, and if I find myself stopping by often, I will certainly put up a link.
Can I link to your blog?
Of course you may! I’m honored that you’d like to.
About Seattle
I’m coming to visit Seattle! Where should I go?
Well, how many days do you have? Because I have a lot of favorites:
FOOD: The Walrus and the Carpenter (oysters!), The Whale Wins (don't miss the brownie), Columbia City Bakery (the walnut levain), Vif (avocado toast! everything!), Manolin, Spinasse (be sure to sit at the counter), Din Tai Fung (soup dumplings! dry-fried green beans!), Sitka & Spruce (especially brunch), Bar Sajor (especially lunch, although $$$), The Wandering Goose (layer cakes!), Green Leaf, Honore Artisan Bakery (croissants, pains au chocolat, cannelés), Poppy, Maono, Slate Coffee Roasters, Herkimer Coffee, Analog Coffee, Cafe Lago (lasagna), ... and, you know, Delancey and Essex.
SITES / THINGS: Ballard Farmers’ Market, Pike Place Market, Olympic Sculpture Park, Discovery Park, the view from Alki Beach, strolling and shopping on Ballard Avenue, the Ballard Locks, Center for Wooden Boats, University District Farmers’ Market, Elliott Bay Book Company, Totokaelo, ferry rides, and the nearby islands
***
Can I e-mail you?
If you'd like to reach me, send an e-mail to contactorangette (at) gmail (dot) com.



84 Comments:
My goodness, your rise to fame must be accelerating at an astonishing rate-- you have a personal FAQ section!! (Good for you!) Thanks for posting the About Me section. It was nice to read about you, and see your picture. It's always been such a nice touch that you return comments and emails. Hope you can keep it up! Keep up the good work! And thanks for all the delicious recipes.
Molly, this was a fun section to read. Thanks for continuing to share your life and gifts with us.
Molly,
This is so wonderful that you share your experience with us. Thank you.
Nurit
Bellevue, WA
Hi Molly! It was very fun reading all about you. You didn't share the story about Brandon and the pie recipe, or something like that? I saw the short clip you had linked on your site awhile back, I think from the Food Network?
My best to you and Brandon!
You will be the next Laurie Colwin, my husband found your site and we are delighted to know you are from Seattle.
i love this section. it is perfect.
Just finished the book last night, and I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it. I have children your age, a long ago French major, and a love for food---so I figure that makes us best friends! Thank you so much...I look forward to the next one and will read your blog faithfully!
Beth from Michigan
Hi Molly,
I have just ordered your book from Amazon and I am really looking forward to receiving it! I have just started blogging. Would love for you to have a look if you have a moment.
It's very exciting, and I am like you, very surprised that I've actually set them up myself.
www.tigressinapickle.blogspot.com
www.tigressinajam.blogspot.com
looking forward to staying tuned to orangette!
Most people have such boring FAQ sections; this was completely entertaining and lasted the same amount of time as my cup of tea, so that's a plus.
Congratulations on your book.
I emailed a question but kinda digressed. Love your book.
Charr
Hi, Molly!
I just happen to come upon your blog. Thank you for this FAQ section.
Your voice comes through in your blog.
I'm new at blogging and have learned a great deal reading yours.
Thank you!
Hello Molly -- congratulations on your successes! I started a blog a few months ago on food, flowers and travel, mostly. I am finding my recipes are buried in the long line of content. Like you, I'm creating the blog through trial and error -- it's fun and frustrating! How did you do the Index of recipes?? Is that called a weblog? I'm on blogger too. My site is http://marketofsplendor.blogspot.com. Thanks for any information! Emily Heston
Emily, as you've discovered, Blogger doesn't make it very easy to index things! What I wound up doing was fairly simple, but it took me a while to figure it out. Basically, here's how it works: I built my index as a completely separate blog on Blogger, but with the same design, so that it looks like just another page of Orangette. (By messing around with the html coding of the template, I was able to remove the things that make it look like a separate blog: the date above the post, the post title, my profile box, etc.) I organized all the recipes into a single post, and each time I publish a new recipe on Orangette, I input it manually into the index and republish the index. It's not the most streamlined approach, but because Blogger doesn't really allow you to build pages off of a single blog, this was the only way I could figure out to make it work.
Does this make any sense at all? I hope it helps!
Molly,
I am new to the blogging world, and was introduced to you through a fellow blogger friend who suggested your blog to me. I am so glad she did, and I have enjoyed going through your posts, past and present. I think you're writing is witty and relevant, and although I'm not a "foodie" per se (although I not-so-secretly wish I was, and could have the courage to open a restaurant, complete with an Italian oven, like you and Brian!), I am learning a lot about writing and blogging through your posts. Congratulations on all your successes.
Your new fan,
Erica
Raleigh, NC
holalohayall.blogspot.com
Dear Molly,
I have just finished your wonderful book and cannot wait to try the recipes. As a fellow Seattlite, please tell me that the spider cake somewhat approximates the wonderful Cornmeal Cake at the Boat Street? it is one of my personal addictions.
Finally, as an ex-NYer, I am excited about Delancey; when is the opening? We want to be first in line.
Good luck to you both!
tREX of Queen Anne
Hello Molly,
I have only just discovered your blog, which I adore. I wish I had the discipline to maintain a blog. I am now impatiently awaiting the delivery of your book. Hurry up, Post! Hurry up!
I hope it's okay that I've printed a couple of your pictures to paste into my recipe binder alongside your instructions. They are so lovely and perfect. Thank you.
Just finished your book -- I checked it out from our local library and am planning to swing by Powell's next week and pick up my own copy to put on my shelf with the rest of the cookbooks! Between your book and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - I have loved the style of sharing recipes with anecdotal and meaningful stories. Best wishes for your restaurant opening and success!
Peace,
Rosalea
Stumbled upon your book and blog at the chapters.ca site when i was browsing for another book to make my free shipping= it's ordered.
when i read that you dropped out of a PhD program, i felt a kind of kinship with you, i am on a LOA from a PhD program and am currently considering dropping out to either work or find a passion to pursue! i imagine it was not an easy decision.
congrats on living your dreams!
Hello Molly,
Orangette is beautiful...I really enjoy your site. Im a fellow Seattle blogger ( http://cheriepicked.com ) and, embarrassingly, just now came across your blog. Where the hell have I been that I couldve missed it? Seems as though youre quite the popular lady. Anyway, its a pleasure and yes yes- keep it up..
Cheers,
Cherie
http://cheriepicked.com
Hi -
I just started reading your book yesterday and I am halfway through. I love it, I love your writing style. Can't wait to try the recipes.
All the best.
Di from San Francisco
Molly,
Congratulations on the opening of Delancey! Do you have gift certificates for sale?
I just finished reading "A Homemade Life" last evening. Although I was hoping to savour it, I could not help myself and devoured it in just two sittings! I must tell you that I enjoyed your book even MORE than the last book I tried to savour ~ which was "Eat.Pray.Love".
Your description of Burg and everything your family went thru, had tears rolling down my face.
But then with a turn of the page, a smile would appear!
When I read about the teeth and the hair, I could not help but laugh, as I too met my husband thru the internet (match.com) and it WAS his teeth and hair that first attracted me.
The irony is my husband's
father was THE pastry chef for The Beverly Hills Hotel for 40 years and yet my husband cannot even boil water!
I am glad to see you are still keeping up your blog, as I can continue to enjoy your writing and your wonderful recipes.
Many thanks for a wonderful Homemade Life,
Jovan
Scottsdale, Arizona
hi molly!
i was gifted your amazingly fun, honest and awesome book by my equally fun, honest and amazing boyfriend because he said it combined two of our favorite things: food and paris:)
i just now got to the part about orangette and just wanted to say felicitation on the restaurant opening; i'm so so sad we're not from seattle but someday hope to visit delancey.
Laura, New York, NY
Molly,
Oh joy, I'm so happy to find Orangette. It's is exactly what I imagine when I think of the word "blog": personal, heartwarming and informative. Congrats on all of the success from what appears to be a simple decision to follow your heart.
Out of all the books in all the world at Borders I happened to find yours! I never go to the Cookbook section but was looking for Julia Child's book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" after having seen the movie "Julie and Julia. In my imagination I am a cook, I love to eat, but never had much use for cooking. The title of your book caught my eye and the photo and I flipped through it. I was completely taken in by your prose and your luscious and delicious descriptions of enjoying the art of eating. It awakened in me a latent desire to just try cooking (and not baking.
Well this is long-winded, but I want to thank you for causing me to realize that there's a WHOLE WORLD of food experiences to savor. All puns intended. You write so well-like having a conversation at a great table at great little restaurant like Delancey's! All the best...
Molly, you have a wonderful blog which is well presented and not to forget well written. I will try and pick up your book if London stockists have it.
I recently started my own blog on everything Indian cooking has to offer at http://bavskitchen.blogspot.com/ seems like i have along way to go. Will try and add one of my Indian/Italian recipes on there, please have a look.
All the best Molly
Bav ( London)
I found your book by chance at the library. I loved the title and cover photo, so I checked it out and read it. I LOVED IT! I had never heard of your blog (I am a little busy raising eight children,) but am happy to say I have now bookmarked it. I now also have a renewed interest in cooking! My family will be so pleased. Thanks for sharing your gift of writing and cooking. Oh, and by the way, I am going to purchase my own copy of your book, so I can re-read it at will. It made me smile!
Blessings to you and Brandon!
Wow! I am inspired, thanks.
fantastique!
I don't want a review on
my product, but I'd love
to send you samples to cook
with... just cause you're
adventurous.
(And I need new
recipes for the book "they"
are forcing me to write.)
Where can I send some java goodies without being feared as a mail stalker?
fondly,
The Queen of Cups
Molly, it was fun knowing you better through this section. I read your book and was sad when I was approaching the last few pages. It made an incredible read - I read it to and fro from work. The illustrations are pretty cute too.
molly,
this is a fabulous holiday destination of a blog. indescribably nourishing and moorish. i am starting at the beginning (an uncharacteristically sensible choice) and currently reside somewhere in spring of 2005, which i suppose makes me a time traveller. how terribly exciting!!!
i predict that worlds shall collide and magnets will move when i catch up to current day; much like a highly anticipated episode of lost. until then you can find me festering in my gruesomely degenerate planet, wishing and wanting to grow up and become somebody with talent and class and a fully stocked fridge...like you!
moxie xox (london, n.y. other)
Molly,
I'm listening to your book and I just heard you describe a pink cake with raspberry frosting made by your mother.
I checked your recipe section on your blog and did not see a cake that fits this description.
By chance, would you mind sharing this recipe in the future? My birthday is in February and I usually celebrate with pink cupcakes, but haven't yet had a pink cake. The addition of raspberry frosting sounds delightful.
Thank you for sharing your talents!
Marta
Portland, OR
Marta, I know the cake you mean, and unfortunately, I don't have the recipe. My mother has it somewhere, though she's particularly busy at the moment, and I'm not sure I can get it for you. But if I can, I will. In any case, happy early birthday!
Just finished reading your delightful book....I am going today to get the chocolate with which to cook your wedding cake! Not to be nasty, etc., but your book is much better written and intereesting than another book on cooking that is very popular right now! I made your lemon-yoghurt cake for my daughter's birthday today. You inspired me to try many of your recipes. It is good when an old woman like me (68) can be fired up by a charming youngster like you, and I look forward to reading more about and by you. Gloria
Molly,
I have been lovin' your articles in Bon Appetit. Two recipes in particular are favorites - the Salmon with Creme Fraiche and the Spaghetti with Braised Kale. I just happened to have a garden full of kale when you published that recipe. I made the Butternut Squash and Cheddar Bread Pudding for my son and daughter-in-law only after looking up comments on the recipe. They had the same reaction as a number of commentors - they were surprised that they liked it!
I am taking a class on creating blogs and the assignment was to post a comment on a blog. You are the chosen one. Keep up the good work.
Laurel
Hi Molly-
I don't remember how I happened on your blog, but it was back before Delancey and I enjoy reading it still. My husband and I were in Seattle yesterday and stopped by for dinner. It's a great spot! We really enjoyed the Romano pizza. I was kind of surprised when he ordered something with anchovies because... well, you'd have to meet him to understand, but we both loved it!
The star of our meal, though, was the Lemon Budoni (did I get that right?) which I think I will never forget. The little cookies alongside were such a nice mix of crunchy-light- shortbreadiness. We were about to drive back to Portland but both took our time sharing that. So thanks, we needed a nice meal, and Delancey was it!
Molly-
I've been a fan of your blog for some time. It started off with the double chocolate cupcakes with ricotta, bourbon, and orange zest and has been all uphill from there.
I just picked up your book and immediately fell in love with it. It's so wonderfully written; full of intimacy and special memories.
thanks for the re-direct! great recommendations :), and perhaps i'll run into you at delancey!
Molly, just found out about your book and your blog and can't wait to try out some of your recipes! I live in Portland, OR and called Powell's to see if they had any signed copies of your book. They said the event on March 6th didn't happen. Are you planning to come to Portland on another date? I sure hope so!
Sorry for the March 6 confusion, Pat! I was actually at Powell's on March 6 of last year. I don't have plans to be back there in the near future, but if that changes, I'll post the information over here.
Molly, where in Seattle can I purchase Château de Pellehaut Harmonie de Gascogne? I have tried it at Delancey several times and notice that you use this wine in your rhubarb recipe and the chilled peaches recipe. I would love to buy some for home.
I love reading your blog! It is beautiful. I wish I could try your recipes, but my computer is in the study--too far away from the kitchen, and I can't print the recipes.
Steele, if you'd like to, you can definitely print the recipes! Blogger (my host) doesn't offer a print function, but you can just highlight the text you want, go to "Edit" and then "Copy," and then paste it into a Word document. Then you can print it from there. That's what I do whenever I want to print a recipe from a Blogger-hosted blog.
Hope that helps!
bethirwin, I'm sorry for not replying sooner! I was trying to hunt down the Pellehaut for you. Have you ever been to a little shop on Phinney Ridge called Picnic? They carry a lot of the wines we sell, and if they don't have the Pellehaut, they can order it for you. (We both buy it through a local distributor called Noble.) Hope that helps!
Hi Molly,
So sorry to hear about your grandmother. Just wanted to say I recently stumbled across your book: and couldn't put it down! As luck would have it, the very next week you were in Brookline, MA as part of your book tour. You are really an inspiration. Thanks for all that you do!
Cheers,
Emily
http://www.aplumbyanyothername.blogspot.com/
P.s. your podcast is hilarious!
Hello, Molly - I finished your book last night and loved it. I lost my dad recently and was very moved by your writing.
I lived and worked in Seattle from 2002-2007 (my daughter lives there), lived in Ballard - sorry I missed eating at Delancey - next time I visit I'll come!
I have a question for you - all your baking recipes use parchment paper - I've never used this - what's the benefit -- why not just butter the pan?
Nan, I'm so very sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you're doing alright.
As for the parchment paper, it's just extra insurance against sticking. I find that cakes will often stick to pans, even when the pans are well buttered, but if you use parchment, it's impossible for the cake to stick.
Thanks for responding, Molly. Yes, I'm doing all right, though I miss my dad so much.
Guess I'll buy some parchment paper, and can't wait to try your chocolate cake. . .
Molly, first I want to say that I absolutely love your book! It's wonderful to see the stories behind the recipes, and it definitely feels as if they bring you right into my kitchen as I'm trying different ones out (the slow roasted tomatoes is by far my favorite right now). I found your blog because of your book and am happy to be getting more of those great recipes and stories.
I have a favor to ask, I was wondering, if you ever have the time, if you could stop by my blog and let me know what you think? Your writing style is inspiring for me and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know you're busy, and probably get a ton of requests, but if you are able to stop by I'd appreciate it!
http://cookingforpeaceofmind.blogspot.com/
Take care, Angie
Hi Molly, I recently started my own blog too because I like food, movies, writing, and so much more. Your blog is very inspiring and the FAQ really consolidated some of the questions n thoughts I had in mind. Thanks and congratz! - Jessie
Dear Molly ~
Thanks for putting in the time to go so in-depth on here! This has been a great inspiration for me ;)
Hi Molly, I have read you from time to time (and blogging leaves no time, as you know! :), but just now as I read all about you, your career path and your man, I must tell you, you have a loyal fan. Your photos always capture me. Bravo with that and for sharing your inspiring and amazing story. I had put you on my blog list soon after I started my blog as I thought your's was an inspiration, as I am a crazy foodie. Thank you!
Molly,
I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog. I cook one of your recipes about once a month and I always have so much fun with them! This afternoon I made your chocolate cupcakes with ganache frosting. They were a big hit!
I also really identify with your story of how you came to start writing Orangette. I'm a Ph.D. student in the dissertation writing stage, which can be frustrating and stressful--as I'm sure you know. Baking great desserts from your blog is my much-needed escape. So, thank you for that!
A quick question--I've been thinking about making baklava and I was wondering if you've ever made it and if you might have a recipe to share.
Best,
Brooke
Thanks so much for your comment, Brooke. I hope your dissertation is behind you soon! SO MUCH WORK. Whew. At any rate, yes, I do have a baklava recipe that I love. It was taught to me by my friend Olaiya, and I wrote about it for Bon Appetit. Here it is. Let me know if you try it!
Molly, I loved reading your story...having just started my own blog this year. I'd like to subscribe to your blog via email rather than RSS feed. How do I do that?
Nicola-Jane, I wish I had a satisfying answer for you! But as far as I know, Blogger does not have any sort of e-mail subscription function for the blogs it hosts, so the only option is RSS.
Molly, I started a food blog in May as I've always loved to write and inherited a love of food from my father who passed away almost six years ago. I found that cooking made me feel closer to him and was therapeutic in helping me with the grieving process. Anyway, someon recently gave me your book and suggested I read it and it is marvelous! I now check your blog regularly and it is such a pleasure to read your posts. As I mentioned, I'm new to food blogging and sadly, am taking pictures of my food w/ my cellphone camera though I am en route to a better camera soon but would love for you to stop by my blog if you have time. Visit me at www.weekendgourmetwithcolleen.com
Again, it is such a treat to read your posts!
Hey there, Molly --
Like many of the previous posters, I just finished your book. I picked it up on a whim because of the gorgeous cover and found that it really worked well for this mother of two babies, living in Norway ... far far away from my home in Alaska. It was a perfect escape, with chapters just the right length to read before falling asleep ... and because I otherwise have a stack of cookbooks next to my bed, it also filled that niche! I'm new to your blog, so I will also do some searching of my own, but I'm looking for good reading recommendations from a fellow foodie. I've got a trip to Ireland coming up to visit in-laws and I like to stock up on English books for the few months following. Any thoughts?
Congrats on your great success and thank you, thank you!
On a recommendation from my mom, I am reading your book. She made the banana bread--it was to die for.
My fiance and I lived in Ballard (at Ballard and Market) from 2006 to 2008. The book and your blog bring all my lovely Seattle memories back. When I come back, I'll stop by your restaurant.
Good luck and keep writing.
Robin (dreaming of Ballard)
Just wanted to say this is a great blog. Glad I stumbled upon it and can't wait for future posts!
hi molly!
i am really wanting someone to update the ubiquitous breakfast casserole..
why? they are so easy, have all of the early bird essentials in one dish--you can stick in the fridge the night before and pop it in the oven the next morning...i would never serve this for a lovely brunch, but when you constantly have 500 middle school girls sleeping over, it's nice to be able to pop out of bed a couple of minutes after you hear them hit the floor (b/c you have listening to their dulcet voices all night), shove something in the oven and stand around looking like the ace mom who's been up all morning making breakfast...and everyone leaves fat & happy.
loved, loved, loved your book...can't wait for the next installment.
nanne
Molly, I just finished A Homemade Life and it has been such a treat and pleasure! I am a retired woman, mom, and grandmother of 3 boys, and grew up in a "food is love" kind of big Scandinavian family....though I don't cook so much any more.
Just wanted to say what joy your book gave me, and now I have discovered your blog, too! Well done!
Ellen
Hi, Molly!
Your FAQ section is great, thank you. (ALL of your website, actually!) I've added you as a link to my fledgling website, if I may... This is the kind of writing and cooking I want to share. Again, thanks!
~ Kim
Hi! I've actually never looked at a blog before, your's is my first. I have to say this is fantastic. I love the way you write and the simple pictures incorporated and of course the recipes. This is very inspiring! Thanks.
Alyssa
Chesapeake,VA
I found out about your blog through a recent edition of Elle, and I really love your blog as well as your FAQ. I've added you to my google reader. If by chance you ever have a moment of time for web surfing, please feel free to check out my current blog which is about healthy eating, and general health topics. http://www.healthkicker.com/contributors/chicklessnugget/
Thanks,
Lanore
Molly,
I am not much of a blog reader, however I really enjoy food so I like your blog and your pictures. You see I am starting up a bistro and my sister bought me the book Where Women Cook, and I have been checking your blog now and again ever since. I find it and your story very inspiring.
mel
albany, mn
Hi Molly, I am reading your book and it has made me think of my own family recipes, I have just blogged about my families 'every day cake'
http://androushka-calicoheart.blogspot.com/
Thank you SO much for your book,it has made me laugh and cry and I read it whilst stirring dinner (a good book bench mark with me!) But can you tell me what 'half and half' is??? Also, the apple cider used in the salmon recipe, is that the same cider (alcoholic) that we have here in the UK? thanks Andrea xx
So you are Molly Wizenberg? I was saw your name mentioned on a list of women who have affected the food blog world and your name wasn't always well received. (apparently I've been under a rock because I didn't know who you were) The next site I clicked on had you ranked in the top 10 of food blogs on the web...that would explain the nasty comments on the other site...jealousy is a terrible thing.
Hi, I just saw your blog in the N.Y. Times and after seeing it I cann´t understand how you make money ?? I also love orangettes ,
Peter
Hi, Peter. I am a writer, and that's how I earn my living - through writing books and articles.
Thank you so much for your awesome recipes Molly. Because I'm so busy with work, I always look forward to cooking nice relaxed meals on the weekend thanks to you.
I was in San Francisco for a bit, and my friend bought me a ticket to Grubwithus.com. Have you heard of this communal meal site for busy people?
Thank you so much Molly!
Drew
Love love love your blog. I live nearby on SJI and mentioned your site on my "Summer To Do" list on my blog. Thank you for setting the bar reeeeeeeally high. Http://mentalchew.blogspot.com
Hello! I just want to say I love your blog website! And reading your Q&A section has definitely inspired me, because I started a blog site (about food and art) several months ago and have always wondered what I could do to make it better. :)
Also, I plan to come to Delancey soon!
Molly, thank you for your generosity of spirit in sharing your experiences and your blog. I just started my own blog about a week ago so am very new to all of this, and am having a blast doing it! Lots to figure out, but learning a lot, too. You inspire me to continue to try and make my blog as much fun for people to read as it is for me to write. Best wishes to you and continued success in all of your endeavors. bitsandbreadcrumbs.wordpress.com
I was browsing in a bookshop called "Borders" in the far, far east in a city called Kuala Lumpur and I came across your book....yes have vaguely heard about it...but I guess it was not time yet. Now I have it right in front of me and oh my LOVE it!! And, and going through each and every post under Orangette....sheer excitement! Don't you ever stop writing, you hear! :-)
Hi Molly, I have been reading your blog for a while now, but I never read the "About" section! On reading it recently, I was pleasantly surprised to find that you had also like me decided to quit your PhD. But unlike you I had no plan when I quit and am heartened to know that there is hope for a better path. Thank you for your wonderful blog!
Hi Molly, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog and I finished reading your book A Homemade Life this weekend. I enjoyed it so much and will be making a large number of the recipes in the days to come. Your Yogurt Cake with Lemon is first on the list.
Your blog is beautiful. I just started one about three weeks ago and I hope I get better. People like you inspire me.
Just found you and love the blog...will be putting the book in our Amazon cart tonight. Congratulations on your baby! Good luck on both.....
Hi there Molly - I just wrote a post and it happens to be about you. I thought you might want to check it out and even more so, I really (really) hope you don't mind! Anyway, here's the link: http://wp.me/p2jT1E-bB
Have a great evening and some, most likely, much needed and well-deserved sleep!
Hazy
Molly, may I use the Recipe title "Green Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk and Warm Spices" and the link to direct folks to the recipe from my facebook page???
By the way, it is a divine aroma while simmering on the stove in the kitchen...perhaps even a bit sinful in it's sensual appeal! Thank you, a million times, thank you!
What a wonderful blog! The internet is such a wonderful place to find people...I actually found your blog through lifeatcobblehillfarm.com but live in Seattle and have been to Delancy! I adored the salad dressing and need to go back to try it again. Any chance you share that recipe here??? I will look forward to following more posts in the future!
Lauren @ www.turtleinseattle.wordpress.com
Molly- You have a soulmate Molly in Seattle that has a her first cookbook- Sheet Pan Suppers- published by Workman and coming out in 27 days. Please check it out; she's wonderful; thinks you're over the moon wonderful. Not sure you'll see this but from another big fan- Octavia
Molly... How did I not know about you or your blog until just now? What went wrong? I just browsed through some of your latest post and felt like I wanted to know more about you. And then I find out that you started this blog after quitting a Ph.D. program? So recognizable... Most of all, it's inspiring to see that you've accomplished so much after that tough decision. (Well, I assume it was a tough decision, seeing as I'm still struggling with it.) I can only hope that my own blog helps me find my way, as Orangette has done for you. Thank you, Elise @ lesfillesdemadeleine.com
Post a Comment
<< Home